Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Mitt Romney's primary conversion

My largest issue about Romney is not that he is a cultist. (Search "Romney" to see my previous reflections along those lines.)

My issue is that I have a memory.

I remember Romney taking on Ted Kennedy years ago. Many of us were happy about the prospect of a conservative taking on the dangerous old fool.

But I remember that we were all terribly disappointed when, on issue after issue, Romney buckled, positioning himself as not as the AntiTed, but as the SemiTed. Same old, same old.

And now Romney wants us to think he's a conservative. ("But baby, that was last night! Don't keep bringing up the past!")

R-r-r-right.

Though obviously not ideologically friendly to my position, Joan Vennochi of the Boston Globe reminds us of what Romney hopes we'll forget, on abortion and homosexual activism. He's been insistently pro-abort in the past, and sent his well-wishes to a "Gay" "Pride" activity. Human Events lists Romney as a Top Ten RINO:
Has said, “I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country.” Supports civil unions and stringent gun laws. After visiting Houston, he criticized the city’s aesthetics, saying, “This is what happens when you don’t have zoning.”
As a Christian, I believe in conversion. I just want to hear Romney's testimony. There is every objective reason for him to have changed his mind on baby-butchery, on special rights for sexual perversions, on gun grabbing. I just want to know when it happened, how he figured out he was dead wrong, and why he thinks as he does now.

Otherwise, I just think Romney's sweet-talking me to have his way with me.

9 comments:

Even So... said...

Inquiring minds want to know...

Anonymous said...

As a Christian, I believe in conversion. I just want to hear Romney's testimony. There is every objective reason for him to have changed his mind on... ...gun grabbing.

Hi Dan, U.S. domestic politics are pretty foggy to me, and I've not heard of Romney. But you do realize that it is possible to be a bona fide converted Christian and yet not be against gun control, right?

DJP said...

Theoretically, but irrelevantly. My point is he is A for years, then suddenly wants to be seen as Z. Which is he?

joey said...

until he demonstrates otherwise, by giving some supergood reasons for the change and backs it up, he's A.

DJP said...

As a special bonus today only, JW, I'll give you one chance at making sense -- any coherent sense, whatever -- connecting the sentences in your comment (A) with each other, and then (B) with the post on which they are ostensibly your observation.

Okay -- go!

DJP said...

So... you're a convert? From what, to what?

Who's thrusting religion into your life? Me, by forcing you to return to this blog? Which I'm not?

Chuck said...

Um...at what point does someone offering their views in a blog run askew of the concept of a democratic nation? Or are you asserting that it is Dan's actual 'agenda' which is not conducive to democracy? Either way, I'm not sure your objections make much sense. And I'm not so sure the MSM is a healthy source of information.
And remember: Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Anonymous said...

because Romney is Mormon, has diverging views on homosexuality and abortion, he is not fit to govern. My response to that is I don’t want any religion, your’s nor his, thrust into my life.

Um, JW, I don't know if you've noticed, but abortion and same-sex marriage have already become political issues, whether you like it or not. I mean, if you define our government passing laws and changing the constitution, you know, as political and all.

It's stating the obvious that people are going to vote for the candidate who more closely believes what they do.

(Spicoli--ha.)

4given said...

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Okay, so that made me chuckle.