Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Explain to me how this is not a worshipful prayer

When Roman Catholics speak candidly, they most characteristically speak of (A) praying (B) to this or that dead mortal, most notably Mary. But when a Christian challenges this practice as (excuse me, but "duh!") false worship, he is informed that it really isn't praying to; it is asking this departed brother or sister for prayer, as we do fellow-believers on earth.

With that in mind, I offer this with my own added emphases:
O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of all the goods which God grants to us miserable sinners, and for this reason he has made thee so powerful, so rich, and so bountiful, that thou mayest help us in our misery. Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners who have recourse to thee. Come then, to my help, dearest Mother, for I recommend myself to thee. In thy hands I place my eternal salvation and to thee do I entrust my soul. Count me among thy most devoted servants; take me under thy protection, and it is enough for me. For, if thou protect me, dear Mother, I fear nothing; not from my sins, because thou wilt obtain for me the pardon of them; nor from the devils, because thou are more powerful than all hell together; nor even from Jesus, my Judge himself, because by one prayer from thee he will be appeased. But one thing I fear, that in the hour of temptation I may neglect to call on thee and thus perish miserably. Obtain for me, then, the pardon of my sins, love for Jesus, final perseverance, and the grace always to have recourse to thee, O Mother of Perpetual Help.

Could anything more foreign to biblical religion be composed? Including direct contraries from Scripture, without comment, would double the size of that paragraph

James White read this to a "former Protestant" convert to Rome, fully expecting him to respond with horror and rejection. (I have had this very same experience talking to RC's about the scapular.)

The RC-apologists's response?

"I can only hope that someday you, too, will pray that prayer."

No comments: