Saturday, February 18, 2006

Experimental policy change

All right all right. If girls (like La Shawn [although sometimes it's driven her just next to crazy], and Libbie, and Kim, and the Under the Sky lady) allow comments, maybe I should at least try it. Yes, they've unintentionally shamed me into trying it. Shame does sometimes work with me.

I have never allowed comments, and it's been a really good thing. My post on "Jeff Gannon" was linked on liberal sites, and got me hundreds of hate emails; the site would have been swamped with only one viewpoint. I never would have had the time to respond. One of my posts on Chad Allen and "The End of the Spear" (I forget which one) was linked at, I think, a homosexual site. The comments there were just astonishing, even getting at my family. It would have been ugly.

It isn't that I'm against your occasional fly-by drooling idiot, or your occasional stubborn pinhead. They can make life fun, and funny. It's that I've been afraid my readership was such that there'd be no response unless it was by me, and I simply haven't the time.

But that's changed, and I'm hopeful that there could be an evenhanded give and take. "Hopeful" is, you'll note, not a synonym for certain.

Posting at Pyromaniacs has shown me how fun comments can be when you've got a good spread of really great readers and contributors.

So, all that to say, I will try it here. If it doesn't work, it's gone, no tears.

Kind of up to you, Gentle Reader.

11 comments:

Chris said...

Yea!
Finally comments!
I'm glad you turned them on; however, I now don't really have anything profound to say, so my comment is pretty much a waste of your time.

Screaming Pirate said...

sweet!!! i have gone to go put comment up to only wind up frustrated after 1 or 2 min. of searching to only realize you dont have your comments turned on so thanks all those who lobbied. Also remeber you have the power of the almighty delet key if the comments get to personal.

Chuck said...

You have this fly-by drooling idiotic stubborn pinhead to deal with now. You have been warned.

Kim said...

Well, I'm glad you are allowing comments. When I first began reading here, I was kind of disappointed that you didn't, especially after the post about the James book.

I love getting comments because I like conversation, and it's a way to encourage other people.

Dan B. said...

DJP,
Thanks for giving the comments a try--I cannot imagine having the amount of comments that Pyromaniacs (and now you, possibly) could have--I only have a handful of people who stop by at mine. Hoping and praying that they (the comments) remain managable and civil!

(Fellow dan)

Ray said...

Ohhhh, now you are in for it! Hey brother, hope life is treating you well...

Daniel said...

I have found that while the occassional stink comes in through the comments, for the most part it really gives life to the blog.

DJP said...

Everybody,

Well, I did it -- but I messed it up! I've been waiting for notification that I had comments, but I never got any. Admittedly, I pouted. What an anticlimax.

Then I go check, and I've got a bumper crop (including one troll; buh-bye, troll!).

Sorry for the delay. I've loosened up my policy, should be smoother now.

My Arminian friends would expect me to say, as a Calvinist, "Glad I got that out of the way!"

(c;

DJP said...

Kim, thanks for the encouragement -- particularly since you helped shame me into it!

DJP said...

moonlight blogging -- "You have this fly-by drooling idiotic stubborn pinhead to deal with now. You have been warned."

Bring... it... ON...!

< /John Kerry voice >

4given said...

I have gleaned much from all you have written... always appreciate it... often laughing.