Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Excellent news: Falwell clearly affirms the Gospel

Rather than make this an update to the previous entry expressing concern over the Jerusalem Post report that Jerry Fallwell had said that Jews could go to Heaven without believing in Jesus Christ, I'll simply delete it, and replace it with this great news:

Jerry Falwell has issued A GRACIOUS CORRECTION OF THE JERUSALEM POST. I encourage you to read it completely. In it he unambiguously states

While I am a strong supporter of the State of Israel and dearly love the Jewish people and believe them to be the chosen people of God, I continue to stand on the foundational biblical principle that all people — Baptists, Methodists, Pentecostals, Jews, Muslims, etc. — must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ in order to enter heaven.

Falwell says he was completely misrepresented, and that he cannot even conceive of what provoked the false story.

Praise God for answering our prayers: Falwell used this as an opportunity clearly to re-state and re-affirm the Gospel.

4 comments:

Highland Host said...

Praise the Lord! Falwell was being misrepresented, obviously. Ah, the trouble that believing God still has a special place for the Jews can bring.

Dan B. said...

The inquisitive side of me would want to seek or find out who would come up with this sort of a fabricated story. In the article, Hagee denies it as well, and had never heard of anyone mentioned in the article. Makes you wonder. Thanks for the post.

DJP said...

Well, goodness, HH, if being misrepresented and slandered alone discredits a doctrine, we'd better toss our TULIPs post-haste!

Highland Host said...

DJP. I find that, when I say (as I have done on a number of occasions) that I think God still has a special place for the Jews, I get some funny looks. Which is nothing compared to the response I get when I say 'and I'm Postmillenial.' That usually sounds a lot like, "so, you're a liberal then?" I mean, talk about blue-based baboons! Was Jonathan Edwards a liberal? Was Thomas Boston? Was David Brown of Jamieson, Fausset and Brown fame?

(etc.)