Friday, December 18, 2009

Brian Setzer Orchestra: "The Nutcracker Suite," plus....

As you wait for Hither and Thither (which will be delayed), something that is I guess Christmasy, broadly-defined.

Back in 2005, my dear wife and I saw the BSO perform their Christmas show.

Here's a bit of their program from 2007, as they perform "The Nutcracker Suite." I've never quite understood what Nutcracker has to do with Christmas, but....


Now: different year (2005), same season of the year, same band, very different mood. A song I've always thought oddly creepy: "'Zat You, Santa Claus?"


4 comments:

RT said...

Unfortunately the videos are blocked here at work, so obviously I cannot fully appreciate the post. For your enlightenment, however, the action in the ballet "Nutcracker" takes place at Christmastime, hence the connection with Christmas is in the dancing rather than the music. "Zat you Santa Clause?" as performed by Louis Armstrong, is probably my favorite secular Christmas song. I wish I could link you to it or something but my lack of compentency in such matters renders it impossible.

Mike Westfall said...

Hmmm... That firets video posted is Chicago doing (a crappy version IMHO of)"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

Where's the Nutcracker video?

DJP said...

Is not.

And for that crack about Chicago, your commenting privileges are revoked for an hour.

:^P

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Dan,

You're killing me. I have free time here, and NO HITHER AND THITHER.

(You've created a monster.)

And RT, the boys and I like Louis Armstrong's version too!