Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Presidential unifying leader? or arrogant, spit-in-your eye demagogue?

American press:
fearless reporters, or lapdogs of the Obama regime?

Were you one of the majority of Americans who wanted no part of Obamacare? Do you love your country, its Constitution and its foundational ideals, and grieve every day at the erosion of liberty, responsibility, opportunity?

Your president has something he'd like to say to you.


Feel better now?

No?

Then this probably won't help. In one of his camp-meetings, The One had a subject ask him, "Is it wise to raise taxes at this time?" With great enthusiasm and many dropped "g's" (that's called "relatin' t' th' underlin's"), The One launches into a seventeen-minute response. At the end, he says something like "Boy that was a long answer! But I hope I answered your question."

He did not.

Anyone who says that Obama does not target and pursue enemies is badly misrepresenting him, however. Lamentably, the enemies he pursues are not America's enemies. He bows to them, flatters them, accomodates them, while stiffing, ignoring, attacking and insulting our allies.

The enemies Obama pursues (as we saw at the start of this post) are his own personal political enemies. The more effective, the more targeted. One, of course, is Rush Limbaugh, as representing all free-speaking, publicly accessible communicators. More than once, the President has singled out Limbaugh and lesser lights. Byron York noted:
In his new interview with CBS, President Obama refers to the "troublesome" talk and "vitriol" of Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. "Keep in mind that there have been periods in American history where this kind of vitriol comes out," Obama says. "It happens often when you've got an economy that is making people more anxious, and people are feeling like there is a lot of change that needs to take place. But that's not the vast majority of Americans. I think the vast majority of Americans know that we're trying hard, that I want what's best for the country."
Limbaugh responded to this report:
"I and most Americans do not believe President Obama is trying to do what's best for the country. Never in my life have I seen a regime like this, governing against the will of the people, purposely. I have never seen the media so supportive of a regime amassing so much power. And I have never known as many people who literally fear for the future of the country."
What part of that did the MSM pounce on? Did they report on Limbaugh's correct statement that Americans do not believe the country is heading in the right direction, that Obama's popularity-ratings are at a mid-second-term level, and that Obama has made breathtakingly arrogant power-grabs?

Duh.

They pounced on his use of the word "regime." Chris Matthews in particular was shocked, shocked, and had never heard anything like that in his entire life. Never!  Never-ever!

...except of course, when Matthews himself used the word of the Bush administration.

And that is just one of 6,769 uses of the phrase "Bush regime" that York found, from January 20, 2001 to the date of his writing.

19 comments:

Fred Butler said...

I had occasion to catch at least the first 15 min. of Beck's program yesterday afternoon. His opening monologue was about the "trouble" that doctor in FL. was getting into because he put up a politically charged sign in the window of his office telling people who voted for Obama to help themselves to looking for health care elsewhere. I think you know the story. Granted, Beck was funny with his criticisms of the liberals and how outraged THEY would be if this doctor was standing up against a "resurrected" Ronald Regan in Beck's amusing illustration, but nothing he said was vitriolic or over the top.

Beck talked about how serious it was to our basic American freedoms that the media and government were attempting to get ethics charges brought against this guy. He reminded his audience of Woodrow Wilson, probably one of the most villainous presidents America has seen, who imprisoned his political adversaries because of similar criticisms of his administration. If you all want a good historical background on Wilson, I recommend checking out Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism."

Anyhow, Obama and his supporters hate Limbaugh and Beck, not because they are ignorant buffoons, a character smear I even hear from conservatives who want to appear "reasonable" and "separated" from those nasty KKK tea party activists, but because both of these men are effective in drawing our attention to the core issues of what truly matters.

Because progressives have historically tended to promote their propaganda by arguing against their opponents with the use of emotional rhetoric and ad hominem, this "new speak" of replacing the concepts of speaking truth and free speech with the ideas of "vitriol" and "fringe" will continue to plague the overall discussion.

Gabby said...

I don't believe it's ever been done in the history of America - the president mocking his opposition in such a way as this. I am ashamed for him. He actually calls those of us who don't agree with him "them". Unheard of! Watching him transform our nation I am reminded of 2 things: 1. We've got a Chicago-style thug in the White House, and 2. Be patient, Jesus is coming.

DJP said...

Well yes, that's right, Gabby. He carries on as if he was carried to Washington on the shoulders of the people, but the Republican congressmen just snuck in one night when the security guard was in the bathroom.

As I've said, when he sneered "I won!" at the GOP leaders, they should have responded "We won, too, Mr. President; and we'll do what the folks we represent sent us here to do, even if it means opposing you."

lee n. field said...

FYI: "President Weirdo"

Brad Williams said...

As the President said, only time will tell.

The "old people magazines" line was funny though.

CGrim said...

Fred, I think Limbaugh is great and entertaining, and I like the Tea Party movement (except where I think some elements cross too far into idolatry)... but I cannot stand Glenn Beck these days.

I used to like him back when he was on local Philly talk radio. He was funny and snarky and enjoyable. But somewhere along the way, he turned a corner. He became a caricature of himself and conservatives. Most bizarre is when Beck, a Mormon, thinks he's well-qualified to warn Christians about false teaching.

DJP said...

Beck has never struck me right.

Only thing I like about him is the people who hate him.

Anonymous said...

Remember, the One can make the oceans stop rising.

Who are we to question his greatness?

JackW said...

Ditto's Dan.

Brad Williams said...

Only thing I like about him is the people who hate him.

HA! That, my friend, is quotable.

CR said...

Citizen Grim: Most bizarre is when Beck, a Mormon, thinks he's well-qualified to warn Christians about false teaching.

Maybe he'll be invited to the....no, I better not, even as a joke.

DJP said...

Tsk. Naughty.

Aaron said...

I have trouble with Beck too. However, he does provide a lot of necessary historical background information during his broadcasts complete with book references. It is astounding how ignorant most of our population, especially with respect to history.

Joe W. said...

I agree about Beck, he does provide some good information and he's hated by the right people, but he also triggers my spidey senses.

DJP said...

JTW - triggers my spidey senses.

There y'go. Bingo.

Anonymous said...

He triggers your spidey senses because it is clear that he is deliberately latched on to a caricature that he knows is effective...as opposed to Limbaugh, who has been the same guy for last couple decades on the radio. But I don't let the fact that Beck is a performer bother me...he is using his considerable gift to fight against really horrible regime.

That's my thoughts anyways.

Truth Unites... and Divides said...

"Presidential unifying leader? or arrogant, spit-in-your eye demagogue?"

Media answer: Presidential unifying leader.

Many folks' answer: An arrogant, spit-in-your eye demagogue.

------

Do the Christians who defend and support Obama and voted for him, even feel a twinge of conscience?

Has anyone on BibChr have any friends and family that say that it's no good to criticize Obama (in their mind, to "badmouth" Obama), but that they (and others should to) pray for him?

I've been tempted to mention imprecatory prayers, but I've never fallen for that temptation.

Gabby said...

I believe the imprecatory prayers were given to us for a reason - to use, when the occasion warrants. Many's the time lately, when (frequently increasingly) I ask God to 'let them get caught in the plots they have devised...and to raise up His hand.' (Psalm 10)

And I'm not ashamed to say that those times when the evil is so blatant and steam shoots out of my ears that I ask God to either save 'em or smite 'em. I don't care which one, but I ask Him to hear my prayer.

DJP said...

As I'm sure I've said before, I pray privately and with my family three things:

1. That God will protect President Obama
2. That God will humble, convict and convert President Obama; and
3. That God will utterly and dramatically prevent President Obama from doing the many harmful things he means to do to America.

How He answers those prayers, I leave to Him.

Lest anyone think I'm winking and elbowing and sniggering in how I finesse #3, what I myself have in mind is that public opinion and some public leaders with spine, and perhaps the courts, will devastatingly and decisively brick-wall his horrid designs — and will do so in such a way that no one even raises the like as a timid suggestion for years.