Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11/2001 — do not forget

NOTE CAREFULLY
This video is upsetting and graphic. It is the best brief editing-together of gut-wrenching, focused images of the attack America endured 9 years ago, today. It includes multiple angles of the attacks, falling bodies, falling buildings. So be warned: viewing is at your discretion.

We should never forget. Our leaders have. The unity that the country knew after this attack was brief and passing, unlike our focused, national unity during World War 2.

But we should never forget this devastating sally in the ongoing war by Islamic extremists against the rest of the world.



"And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains" (Matthew 24:6-8)

It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and it shall be lifted up above the hills; and peoples shall flow to it, and many nations shall come, and say: "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths." For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore; but they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid, for the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken. (Micah 4:1-4)

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah 11:9)

After posting this, I saw that Squirrel had picked the same video, adding his own thoughts and a CW song.

11 comments:

The Squirrel said...

Thanks for the link, Dan. I'm not really a big Country & Western music fan, but that song by Darryl Worley just says it so very very well.

Squirrel

Ron (aka RealityCheck) said...

Brutal... just brutal.

But a necessary reminder... thanks!

GrammaMack said...

It did feel like the end of the world. I had not heard that recording of Ken Cosgrove before. Chilling.

I will never forget.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Neither had I, Gramma Mack. Heart breaking.

And Dan, you're right. How can our leaders be so careless?

I'll never forget that day.

Death or Glory Toad said...

Until today, I haven't really seen much of this (except the pics of the towers). I was on watch in the Gulf of Oman when the events originally transpired.

Rather frustrating, actually. Except for the Scripture.

Lord, Come quickly.

Susan said...

Heartwrenching....

I just read John MacArthur's Understanding Islam last night. To think that all those Jihadists thought that they would be granted a place in heaven for this atrocity! Sad and just...sad.

This video hits home for another reason. I know a young Muslim man from work--no, I have not shared my faith with him (our work environment is not exactly evangelization-conducive, to say the least)--and he never openly said he's Muslim (but I know he observed Ramadan). I've been praying that the Lord will open his eyes to see the truth. May the Lord save him and those who are related to him.

Robert said...

This was difficult to watch...just so much death. I think that most people don't have a true appreciation for the teachings of Islam and seem to think that we should be more tolerant. They are supposed to try to establish Sharia law around the world. And the means to do so includes telling lies. That should really be a major concern for people here because how do we know who is a fundamental Muslim and who is not? I must say it is a bittersweet scroll indeed. While I am very much wanting my Lord to come and establish the new heaven and earth, I also know many new Christians will be martyred in those days.

Family Blogs said...

Thanks Dan. Over here in the UK there was a documentary '102 Minutes that Changed America' with simple unadorned footage of what happened on that dreadful day. The collective memory and consciousness of Western Europe has largely forgotten the horror of 9/11 - shame on us!

I saw my late father cry only a very few times during his life. As the first tower collapsed he wept at the human tragedy of such loss of life. Awful, awful events: but thank you for grounding the shock of this video in its Scriptural context of our Sovereign Saviour.

Halcyon said...

I saw "102 minutes that Changed America" this past Saturday. I highly recommend it.

MJ said...

Nine years and I had never heard Kevin Cosgrove's anguished cry as he died. I didn't want to watch but I'm glad I did and I don't intend to ever forget. For the first time since the actual events, I was truly angry on the anniversary of 9/11. For what happened on that day of course, but also for how far this country has sunk since these murders and how the truth has been scrubbed, rewritten and just plain 'ole forgotten. Pitiful, deluded and very, very dangerous.

Gilbert said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I had a sick stomach all day...as part of my job, I deal with weather disaster preparedness. I've been in towns nailed by tornadoes just minutes earlier, and that stuff is hard to take. But 3,000+ dead in a flash...gone. I've heard many of the 911 conversations that make Ken Cosgrove's (no offense to him) sound like nothing. Do a YouTube search and bring a can of Tums and a bottle of Kleenex. Or, preferably, not.

But DO watch the CBS special "9/11", from which the video of the first plane hitting WTC 1 was taken from. Two guys doing a documentary on firefighters in NYC, had 30 days of video with hardly anything to show for. Days away from being done and disappointed, they were in tower 1 when tower 2 collapsed, and escaped with minutes to go before tower 1 came down. I have a copy of it on VHS, and watch it to remind me the levels of spiritual warfare we're experiencing right now.