Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday music: three Linda Ronstadt collaborations

While I was doing initial phone interviews with the good folks at CBC, I asked: "If I come to Texas, will I have to like country music?"

Though I got an enthusiastic "Yes!", no one's pressed me. So in gratitude, here are three country-flavored tunes featuring the great Linda Ronstadt. Like Ann Wilson, there was nothing that Linda Ronstadt couldn't sing.

Here's Linda with Johnny Cash:


Then, Ronstadt with the Eagles:


Finally, stepping away from country into the borderline bizarre... Linda and the Muppets, with her beautiful "Blue Bayou":

9 comments:

The Blainemonster said...

Ronstadt on the Muppets - a blast from my childhood past! I'm really digging the giant hair muppet playing the marimba...

zamar said...

Nice to know you are expanding your mind with country music. No worries, it will grow on you.

Mike Westfall said...

Ah.. Gov. Moonbeams's once-upon-a-time girlfriend.

Marla said...

What, no Aaron Neville??? Have to say that was my fav. album of her's.

Marla said...

I don't think I've ever seen Johnny Cash that young. Wow.

...and those are ugly, unflattering pj's in the Muppet segment, but her voice is golden as always. I wonder how she could sing that whole song with a straight face.

Rob said...

Ronstadt is one of those performers that, like the Dixie Chicks, you hear and think, "oh, they said such-and-such about the President, didn't they?" - in other words, you try to get into their music but can't help but think back to something obnoxious they said about a politician, and it sortof puts a cloud over the music. Or maybe it's just me.

DJP said...

I again think of my dear wife's policy of not wanting to know anything about the actors/singers/performers she enjoys - because what she learns is usually (to say the least) disappointing.

Like Laura Ingraham said in her book-title, "Just Shut Up and Sing."

jmb said...

I was a big fan. She also made three albums of standards arranged by the great Nelson Riddle. On the downside: When I saw her live, she made zero contact with the audience. Maybe she thought the wrong people were there: "It's a real conflict for me when I go to a concert and find out somebody in the audience is a Republican or fundamental (sic) Christian. It can cloud my enjoyment. I'd rather not know."

Solameanie said...

I always liked her song "You're No Good." And she won't sing it anymore, LOL.