- News-reading: it may be more dangerous than it looks.
- Book update. The Proverbs book understandably didn't have a massive PR push, and it's quite a slower read than TWTG, so reviews have not been as fast in coming as an author might hope. But they do trickle out, and this one from Pastor Chris Anderson, a man I like and admire (and owe, forever, for his help with TWTG) put out a very encouraging and kind preliminary review.
- We've had some very impressive storms come through. The boys and I had the greatest time Monday on the back porch, watching more lightning than I saw in 23 years of living in Sacramento. Some of the lightning was so close that it was like the (always-wrong!) movie lightning, as Josiah observed: flash-bang! all at once.
- What's odd is how one little brief storm blew out the power a few weeks ago, but all these hammering storms recently have not. Not complaining! Just don't get it.
- Maybe we need one of these though.
- My neighbor Voddie Baucham has produced a brilliant, articulate, bare-knuckled article titled Gay Is Not the New Black. (thx Robert Sakovich) There are a number of "money-quotes." Here's one, speaking of a legal ruling:
this is asinine logic. For example, following this line of reasoning, one could argue, "I have the right to join the military, but I am a pacifist. Therefore, I don't really have the right (since it would be repulsive to me). Therefore, we need to establish a pacifist branch of the military so that I can fulfill both my desire to join, and my desire not to fight."
- You think you're serious about the cheese on your cheeseburger?
- Mm-mm! Bacon bowl! (Developing a tip from Steve Hills)
- That sound you hear on the stairs? It might not be nothing.
- File the previous entry under Coming Robot Overlords Update, btw.
- And this as well: good to know that Our Coming Robot Overlords will be keeping us safe and secure.
- Ironic reflection: maybe close to 100% of those behind that movie don't see that President Obama and his ideology is right in line with what they're parodying.
- You know, actually, sometimes... standing is a lot of work.
- Even the price of yelling at bums is going up.
- I Never Liked Target All That Much Update: now they're selling "gay" "wedding" cards. Yeppers. Why? "'Target is focused on diversity and inclusivity,' spokesperson for Target Molly Snyder said, adding that they offer wedding cards relevant for everyone,'” including lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender couples."
- Well, since we're being all diverse and everything, will they sell "You're Not Really Married, And Let Me Tell You About Jesus" cards? I'll let you know.
- In the meanwhile, breathe. No breath-holding.
- And then there is beloved Chick-fil-A, who swims cheerfully against the tide on that issue. (thx Chris Carney)
- This would totally work in Houston:
- The inimitable Frank Turk pointed me to an absolutely wonderful musical musing on a familiar theme. (DAOD and BSIL should especially love it, as well.)
- An extreme Star Wars fan provides yet another Gee Mom, Why Can't I Get a Job? update.
- Mark Snoeberger has a good, concise, pointed thought-piece about the theology of healthcare. Seriously, read it.
- A deft, clever A-Z list of theological jargon (h-t Trevin) Doesn't mean I agree with all of it, of course.
- Pretty funny story about the Smithsonian using a resource from the much-despised Creation Museum.
- Cool: the Reformation... in Legos!
- What's more — Lego Colosseum!
- Even more — half-size Rolls Royce Trent 1000 replica! (thx Dwayne Warren)
- Best Romney ad, ever.
- ...and it's from the Obama campaign! Thanks, Mr. President!
- Obama's deathless "you didn't build that" line gave birth to some very appropriate merriment. (thx Jay Camp)
- Romney has jumped on it. Right on.
- Dave Cavanaugh examines some Obamaniacs' efforts to save the President from himself.
- You didn't build this, either.
- Plus, in a more pious tone:
- Right now, there's a very funny hash-tag on Twitter titled #ObamaKidsBooks. Some of the titles:
How the Grinch Subsidized The Non-Denominational Winter Solstice
Twinkle Twinkle little Czar
Heather Has Two Mommies Without Jobs
The Little Engine That Couldn't Without Federal Assistance
Little Section 8 House on the Prairie
Diary of Wimpy President
Charlie & The Shuttered Chocolate Factory
Twas The Night Before Stimulus
The Taxing Tree
My Little Crony
Oh, The Debt You'll Owe!
Green Jobs and Scams
Fast and Furious George
Harry Potter and the Death Panels
Alexander & the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Obama Presidency
— and, finally—
- Julie Garrett sent me a funny, in the person of someone whose tax return the IRS supposedly rejected because it didn't accept this answer to "list your dependents": 12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million unemployed people on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons; Half of Mexico; 535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate; and 1 useless President."
- BTW, I think one of the Obama-team failed themes has been to try to get Romney to release tax statement #479 or something. Well, there are a few things Mr. Obama hasn't released, we shouldn't forget.
- But don't take Obama out of context. (BTW, when I'm doing this link, there is nothing out of color on that site. I only say that because I know how The Intarwebs are.)
- Well, the BSA remains sane. At present. But they had to deliberate it over, first. Mustn't be hasty. I mean, after all, maybe it's a great idea to allow folks pursuing sexual perversion to lead groups of young boys into the wilderness! You know, if you forget the Bible and all that.
- Perfect food? A 100% ground bacon patty. (thx Matt Olmstead)
- And for dessert?
- Dang, I am so hungry right now.
- And to wash it down? (thx Anthony Forsyth)
- And yes, please (Randy Talley):
- Okay, this is pretty wonderful. Who knew that Joss Whedon, in addition to script-doctoring and creating terrific TV and smash movies, was a genuine action hero... sort of? Check out this Written By a Kid feature titled Scary Smash. You'll love it.
- So... a guy joins a really strange cult, marries a few times, has a kid, names her "Suri"... and says he wants her life to be "as normal as possible." Yeah, well. Clearly.
- Finally: bad cobra! Bad!
- (I can see a new expression being born: "Dude, you really slapped the cobra on that one.")