Thursday, October 07, 2010

Intelligence seen on the smallest scale, but not on the grandest?

Is this fascinating article on the intelligence exhibited by cells an example of a man missing the forest for the trees?

David exclaims,
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
(Psalm 139:14)
Interesting to reflect in this connection:

  1. The middle assertions ("fearfully and wonderfully made"; "Wonderful are your works") are equally true of humans and cells.
  2. Refusal to affirm those truths are classic manifestations of our rebellion against God (Romans 1:21)
  3. The ability to utter the bracketing statements ("I praise you"; "my soul knows it very well") are marks of regeneration
(Thanks to reader Yurie Hwang for the link to the article.)

5 comments:

Aaron said...

I'm continually baffled by those who look at nature and believe it came into existence on its own. The sheer complexity always leads me to praise God.

Mike said...

Thanks Dan.

The comments following the post are incredible too.

quote "I fail to see how any of the behavior described can't be explained by cells simply following local rules, encoded into them by millions of years of evolution."

sure, in a world where everything can be explained by evolution, including opposite outcomes (this is a must read) , all you need is a little hand-waving and special pleading to explain anything that appears designed.

Unknown said...

When man sees a new car that catches his eye, he praises the design of that car. When man sees a building that has a unique contour and is altogether beautiful to behold, he praises the designer. When man sees mountain stream, with a beautiful blue sky and white clouds and all manner of trees around, he praises the happy accident of evolution.

As you laid out, this is the manifestation of our rebellion against God. Worshiping the creation instead the Creator.

Ron (aka RealityCheck) said...

Since my kids were too young to walk they have heard me sarcastically saying, “Isn’t evolution amazing?”, while pointing to something that only God could have done.

Thanks Dan for another great example.

Baffling is right Sir Aaron… I’m always baffled myself at just how much faith unbelievers really have.

Robert said...

Mike,

I am rivght there with you on that comment thread. It is amazing the lengths that people will go to in suppressing the truth and believing the lie that makes no sense.