- True, dat — English is weird.
- And now our occasional Lego segment: gadgets based on the Lego design. Some are pretty cool, in fact.
- Whoa, dude. Is this an iceberg, or a special effect? (Answer: iceberg.)
- Thomas Sowell posted some random thoughts. This was one I rather loved: "When my sister's children were teenagers, she told them that, if they got into trouble and ended up in jail, to remember that they had a right to make one phone call. She added: 'Don't waste that call phoning me.' We will never know whether they would have followed her advice, since none of them was ever in jail."
- Thoughts on the preceding: have you ever noticed how many appalling young criminals have their mothers and other family in the media, blaming everyone but their darling criminal child, doing everything they can to spare their kid (who is 15, 25, 35, 45) the consequences of his actions? Ever think to yourself, "Causation — solved!"?
- All that to say this:
Do not withhold discipline from a child;
if you strike him with a rod, he will not die.
14 If you strike him with the rod,
you will save his soul from Sheol.
- What happens when Gummis go bad? Now we know.
- Who says Hollywood doesn't have a sense of humor? So, they're re-re-re-re-remaking the tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, right? Obviously, they'll need a great actor. Someone with vivid range. Like... oh, I don't know. Maybe... Keanu Reeves? Yep, apparently that's right. A man whose range runs the entire gamut from A to A. Whew. My parakeet Peanuts could do a better job, I'm thinking. And he's been dead for 41 years.
- Pastor John Kane points me to this must-have (made in China):
- Does age bring wisdom? Not necessarily. Sometimes — particularly if you are (or have been) a beautiful media superstar, it makes you really, really stupid.
- Consumer Alert: if you're tempted by a "Snuggie," you may want to watch this. (Warning: if you're offended by the sight of naked mannikin hiney, or a use of the synonym for "hiney" that starts with "b"... you know, sometimes I wonder if all my warnings are really necessary. Anyway. Be warned.)
- Reason #5397 Why We Homeschool: mandatory perversion-approval indoctrination. The irony hits me every time, as it did 15+ years ago when ours were still in government indoctrination camps. They can't teach how to read. They can't teach spelling. They can't teach basic math skills. They can't teach history. But boy oh boy, self-image and amorality? All over that!
- Really Dumb Idea Title Alert: How to Start Barefoot Hiking. I have hiked a lot, and I know this is a Bad Idea. Thinking of one of my particular favorite spots, a trout-brimming lake a bit off the trail, I can think of one "up" side. If I were to get lost, SAR could easily follow the trail of blood across the sharp granite boulders.
- General Colin Powell says that what the GOP really needs is more weak-spined, unprincipled, back-stabbing turncoats. Now, if I told you what I really think about that, I think you'd be offended; let's just say that advice from folks who take thirty pieces of silver as to how the objects of their betrayal could be more popular is of limited worth.
- Lego Double-Header! Yet more love for our Lego-loving readers (or readers with Lego-loving kids), some movie posters redone in Lego.
- Plus, of course, these: