Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Very cool iPhone tool: Dragon Dictation

Though the iPhone keyboard was the best for my sausagy fingers, typing is still a real chore for me.

Then I stumbled across m'man Andy Naselli's list of applications he uses, one of which was Dragon Dictation. This is a free application from Nuance, that turns dictation into text.

It's very intuitive and accurate. Just open the app, tap a button, say what you want, tap again — and out it comes. Tap again, and you can copy the text to the clipboard, convert it to a text message, or email it. So far, I love it.

This review deals with the security of the app, and here is a detailed explanation of using punctuation.

If you want it, I suggest you get it now. It isn't likely to stay free forever.


9 comments:

Fred Butler said...

Getting it for my wife's ipod this afternoon.

Does it do well with posting comments to blogs? Say for example I am surfing Biblical Christianity and I come across someone who is disastrously wrong and needs to be corrected immediately by a witty comment from me. Can I talk into it and post the comments? Or have you even tried that?

DJP said...

Well Fred, I dictated this comment and copied it and use Safari to post to the blog. So I suppose that's your answer.

DJP said...

(Not that your comment was "disastrously wrong," mind.)

Aric said...

Just downloaded it and WOW! Makes me wonder why I haven't been using the PC version for the last few years. Thanks for the prodding to download it while it is free.

Chris H said...

Alas and alack! It is, like FAR TOO MANY OTHERS, not available in Canada... Sad day.

Anyone know a workaround for that, by the way?

DJP said...

Follow in the footsteps of Mark Steyn?

Brad Williams said...

Does it speak Southern? Man, all I need now is an iPhone, or an iPod, or an iMac.

CR said...

Awesome tool. Thanks.

Kate said...

Thanks Carlo for passing the link on. I plan to try it today! :)