Back late Sunday from our wonderful week in Copperfield, near Houston, TX. Then a busy week here in the Big Tomato involving... getting sick! Not too bad, just barely enough for whining rights.
So I've been through what I could of tips and suggestions, and have a little crop. If yours wasn't used, please never take it personally. Grateful to all who think of me.
Our trips through the airport terminals were relatively incident-free, thankfully. I mean, could've been worse.
- This week's Coffee: It's A Health-Food installment — coffee and diabetes risk?
- And another Unmarketable Skill Update: "Yes, Mr. Brodie, that's all very impressive... but we actually were looking for someone who can do car repair." (h-t Fred)
- Oh, what the hey. Here's a second USU: Mr. Beardyman.
- DAOD located creative ways to deal with boo-boos, plus some more bacon magic.
- Also, DAOD shares some seasonally timely tips for boosting kids' immunity to colds... even as her tiny tot Timothe suffers a cold.
- Yep, no doubt; 'way simpler than just doing it by hand.
- Susan noted a former employer of mine in an odd place h-t Sacred Sandwich)
- More seriously, Susan also noted a stirring video about an autistic girl's breakthrough.
- Readers like Michael Beck noted this ominous prequel to our coming robot overlords.
- Reader John found us some old-school coffee jerks.
- Marriage proposal, Lego style. (Thx Dave Sloan; also Sonja)
- One amazing card trick, can't imagine how he does it. (Warning: one PG word.)
- You'll love the What Kids See graphic Fred Butler found.
- Chris Carney casts another vote in my pile of Why Bungee Jumping Is Stupid.
- This is pretty wonderful: pulpy posters for "What If?" sci-fi movies.
- Reader No Longer Blind found an amazing marching band tribute to America's armed forces. The Navy segment is particularly awesome.
- Hey, what're you looking at, eh?
- You know, looking at these flying cranes gives me a sense of vertigo I don't get looking out the window of a jet. I guess it's because I'm in something, whereas the cranes are just... just up there... just 'way up there... and... and... whoa, gotta get a hold of something!
- Gil Sebenste alerts us to a (model of a) large Hadron collider... made of Legos.
- Apropos of nothing currently not confined to my head: it is encouraging to know that change, while often hard, is not impossible.
- You ladies who feel safe from snakes in your nice brick houses... maybe not so much. (Warning: one PG word.)
- You might think having two hearts would be cool. Maybe... but not if you're having heart-attacks in both of them! (Thx Andy Dollahite)
- Yep. This is the only way I can bear Lionel Ritchie's "Hello."
- Another musical note. Fred Butler pointed me to this video of a Golden Retriever dancing the merengue. The weirdness of the first seconds melted away in amazement at the complex series of steps this dog knows, smiling all the while. Dogs can be so amazing.
- Don't show my wife that one; she'll make the (incorrect) inference that, if the dog can learn such complex dance steps, then...
- I leave with with this disturbing image:
THE USUALS WILL BE OBSERVED