Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day reflection from Proverbs

Proverbs 23:24–25 (ESV)
24 The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice;
he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him.
25 Let your father and mother be glad;
let her who bore you rejoice.  

From God's Wisdom in Proverbs, 258:
We must not miss that Solomon turns it around and makes this an imperative to the son: you must give joy to your father and mother; you must give your mother reason to rejoice. This is nothing but an application of the imperative in Exodus 20:12, which morally and spiritually obliges children not merely not to dishonor their father and mother, but positively to seek ways to honor them. In that same way, a child is obliged, not only not to bring sorrow and grief to his parents, but positively to seek ways to bring joy and gladness to them.


Susan said...

Like (as in the thumb in FB) and ouch. Makes me see yet again my own failures in my relationship with my parents. Commandment #5 from Exodus 20 is also a reminder.

DJP said...

I definitely hear you. I've many regrets from my mostly-lost-person childhood, and from post-conversion late teen years as well. Did my best to make up as I grew and learned; but still...

Michael Coughlin said...

Excellent. Very helpful.