Tuesday, August 06, 2013

How to NOT drive an author crazy

Getting a decent book published is really hard work for most people. The concept, the hours of labor, the shopping around, the contract, the process — it's really a tremendous undertaking. And then comes the emotional roller-coaster of seeing what comes of your baby, out there in the cruel world.

So if you've got someone who's written a book you think is a decent, worthwhile book, and you have a particular line of questions. You've never been an author, so of course you don't know who authors think. But hey...I do! And, as
always, I'm here to help!

So, I suggest you proceed thus:
You: Congratulations on getting your baby published!
Author: Thanks very much, I appreciate that.
You: What editions are out?
Author: Just the hard copy.
You: Terrific. I'll buy that and read it.
Author: Thanks, I appreciate that, too!
You: Any plans for other editions?
Author: None that I know of.
You: Okay. Well, I know that if enough hard copies sell, they'll be likelier to look into other markets. So after I buy mine, who can I write to encourage them to look into Kindle/Logos/whatever?
Author: That's kind of you to ask. Let me get that for you...
There y'go. You're welcome!

6 comments:

DJP said...

And yes, the infinitive in the title is split deliberately.

VesselOfWrath said...

So I... can't get #ProvDJP for my Kindle?

Seriously, I look forward to buying it in hard copy and reading it. I'm working my way through #TWTG now (not that it's "work", just that my reading time is limited), and it's been a blessing - thank you.

DJP said...

This.

(c:

Seriously, thanks very much, I do appreciate it. Reading is work, especially for a busy person. I pray God uses it as a blessing and a help to you.

Unknown said...

I have the Proverbs book in hardback and The World-Tilting Gospel on my iPad. It would be great to have both of those (especially Proverbs) on Logos.

BTW it is nice to see a treatment of Proverbs that is not afraid to affirm Solomon as the author (especially sin all the internal evidence points to him)

DJP said...

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I know "things are moving" to get the Proverbs book on Logos, but I don't know more than that.

About TWTG, I've heard nothing.

Terry Rayburn said...

Both books are excellent, and one ought to get both asap, and the Kindle TWTG is great, but I think one is crazy not to get the hardcover Proverbs book, because of the nature of the "study" involved -- notes, etc.

Dan is a really gifted writer, knowledge aside, and his knowledge is outstanding.